the art of sale shopping
i love shopping. more than that, I love a bargain! as i mentioned recently, adjusting to the price point in the USA has been a bit of a steep learning curve, so steep in fact that I’ve spent many a minute fantasising about being teleported back to 10th Feb 2017 where i’d pack all my belongings into the shipping van without a backward glance at charity shops! my back up plan which is currently in full effect, is shopping smart in the sales.
the sales are the best time to get your basics stocked up. these are items i hate to buy but can’t get dressed without: underwear, tights, loungewear, tshirts. this time i went all out for Morayo-Hope because her tights selection had whittled down to the bare bones. she wears uniform to school and navy blue tights are the basic item. Zara sells a 2-pack of tights for $15.99. in the sale they are down to $5.99 - infact today they are $3.99! i bought 3 packs. i then picked out other colour combinations and some socks too. they also sell long sleeved basic t-shirts every winter and i buy them every year in the sale to last the whole year.
this is also the perfect time to pick up some good quality leather jackets, shoes and bags at a fraction of the price. i don’t currently work so i don’t need to head to the high end to get something spectacular, i just need those once in a while items which will last longer in leather.
the sales are also a great time to pick up pieces for the next season. whilst we are in full swing autumn/winter, stores are finalising their summer buys and already planning the next autumn/winter based on the current season performance. this means there are a lot of pre-season pieces being trialled / brought in early to get an idea of how well certain items will do. these are the items to look out for in the sales at it means you’re one step ahead! i picked up quite a few summer pieces for myself & MH.
i love unique and unusual items of clothing. the downside is you can’t wear them all the time. it’s all about cost per wear and some things end up not really being worth forking out on. in the sales however, you can pick up a few unusual pieces for a fraction of their original cost. this also makes it the best time to try out a trend - like embroidered jeans or white shoes etc.
morayo-hope's fancy nancy party buys...those shoes are just $9.99 right now! and i get that black skirt every couple of years in the sale. just so versatile.
incase you're wondering, i did a big shop for judah before christmas as he had a crazy growth spurt! i'm not just being mean to him!
other tips for sale shopping:
- buy things you would have bought at full price if money was no object - a lot of sale items that aren't weather specific are the shop's poor sellers.
- good quality denim is worth buying right now too - i picked some from nordstrom rack.
- keep an eye on websites towards the end of the sales, warehouses find random items and list at silly prices!
- visit smaller non-city stores - brands usually end sales in quickly in their top stores to make way for full price merchandise. that stock goes to little stores where people just like a bargain (especially for brands like zara that don't have factory outlet stores).
- conversely, shop in the biggest stores at the beginning of the sale, they have the best and most uniques items that smaller stores don't get to carry. the website is also a good bet.
looking good doesn't have to cost the world if you shop smart! i share my daily bargain finds on an instagram page called "shopwithtanaka" - feel free to follow and never miss a stylish fashion find. happy hump day fashionistas!
**follow our blog and never miss another post, takes a minute! click here**